OxygenD's Trainer Talk

Friday, February 25, 2011

Winter blues?

Hi Everyone! Here is a short and sweat tip for you to help "light up" your winter blues. Believe it or not I had a tough time with depression when I lived in Phoenix. Sounds odd, I know, but believe it or not I didn't get enough sunlight. I opened a gym at 5 am and was inside all day, then when I got home, I staying inside, napped, and avoided the heat. I ended up with a big case of the blaas other wise known as SAD, Seasonal Affective Depression. I switched out my light bulbs, got more sunlight, and snapped out of it a few months. I thought this would be a good time of year to give you all a tip to help cure your blaas!
There is a direct link between sunlight exposure and hormone production. If you are inside a lot you are missing the essential benefits from the sun. Aim for 30-60 minutes of sun every day to get your fill of Vitamin D and an added bonus, UV light makes the adrenal gland to release more androgen, a sex hormone responsible for sexual arousal. Can’t get outside? Go to your local hardware store and pick up a 120 watt “full spectrum” light bulb for your home or office. These bulbs closely mimic the sun’s rays and have been shown to provide the same great benefites as getting direct sunlight.
Do you guys get enough sunlight? Anyone else out there got the blaas?

5 comments:

  1. i need to get out more! thats great stuff, who knew? Can't wait till the time change so the sun will be out when I get off of work. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TFS! Good thing Spring is next now..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim,
    This is so true! The worst is that being depressed begins to effect workouts and eating habits which normally turns to weight gain.
    Thanks for the great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definately in need of spring and more rays! The days are certainly starting to show signs of getting longer though...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Longer days are on the way...hang in there and get your buns outside!!

    ReplyDelete