OxygenD's Trainer Talk

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Think like a trainer!

I traveled to Phoenix and back yesterday to do a guest appearance for TV webisode on Sheknows.com. I couldn't help but laugh at the thoughts that went through my head at the airport. How funny would it be if people could hear my thoughts?

It drives me nuts how lazy people are in the airport. It's a world of escalators and people movers. On top of it all, people get on them and don't even walk! Then they look at me like I'm nuts when I actually pick up my suitcase and take the stairs or walk next to the moving walkway! It's like people are programed to be lazy. Without even thinking, they just jump on and stand there.

As I boarded the plane a lady was struggling with getting her suitcase so I offered to help. I tossed it up in the overhead compartment and she said "Wow, Thank you. You are so strong!" Truth is, the suitcase was so light. I guess I shouldn't take my strength for granted and a went on to my seat feeling good that I could help.

I packed some snacks for the trip, even though it was a short flight, I always like to nibble! I snacked on my toasted pumpkin and sunflower seeds on the short flight and the flight attendants handed out the little packs of snack mix. I got one assuming it was peanuts but it was a processed pack of salty stuff! Blaa!

I got water, my standard travel drink, and the lady next to me got tomato juice and ate two packs of the processed "stuff". I wanted to say, hey, do you know that you have almost a thousand mg of sodium in that snack? I guarantee she wasn't even thinking about it, and that's the worst part. Ekks! I was torn between wanting to pop into my superhero trainer mode and save this lady from her nightmare snack and trying to mind my own business!! I opted to just sit quietly, but it wasn't easy!!!

My day was pretty long and they only had big subway sandwiches for food so again I opted for the rest of my seeds and a light string cheese. All I could think about was the poor quality nitrate filled lunch meat in fluffy white flour bread. Again, do I tell them the 101 better options, well yes, I did! I couldn't help it, but to my defense, they asked and I confessed that I prefer not to eat processed white bread, only whole or sprouted grain and that I simply don't eat nitrates! I'm pretty sure I ruined their lunch! Opps!!

I headed back to the airport and by now was pretty hungry. After passing all the fast food places I found a bakery and decide to get some chicken soup. At this point the sodium the the least of my worries! I looked down for 2 seconds to grab some money and just as I looked up I saw the guy behind the counter drop a huge handful of chips in my soup! It was like slow motion...NOOO!!! Anyhow, he read my face and was happy to give me a new soup without chips!

It was like a mini battle field out there!! So I encourage you all to follow this advice when traveling:
1. Always pack snacks. Nuts, seeds, fruit, string cheese, and whole grain crackers are great
2. Think of the airport as a chance to get some exercise before you sit on the flight. Avoid escalators and people movers!
3. Drink plenty of water and avoid soda and high sodium drinks.

Travel Fit, Feel Good!

PS anyone have good travel tips?

4 comments:

  1. A mini battle field indeed! But not just while traveling. Who doesn't feel on guard (might I add even a little defensive?) at family dinners, work functions, or out with friends. Nevertheless, I'm optimistic that change is happening! They'll catch up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kim,

    You've totally hit the mark! I, unfortunately, am so lazy myself. I live a sedantary life style and eat processed foods, fried foods, some healthy foods, but not enough. I exercise on and off. I tend to get sick after beginning an exercies program, stop exercising to get better, and then struggle with having enough motivation to get back into exercise. I read so much information pertaining to eating healthy and exercising, but for some reason I am just not getting it. It seems to me to be the hardest thing to be successful in this area of my life. When I read your posts, I'm very impressed with your knowledge and how easy it appears to be that you take such great care of your body with exercise and nutrition. Now I know that it must not be as easy as it seems, but I'm trying to figure out what it is that successful people have, successful active people that are exercising and eating healthy have that I am lacking to get myself where I want to be. I know that everyone is busy working with full time jobs or even stay at home mothers are also very busy indeed, but how do the successful people do it really? I feel that I need the most basic step by step directions on accomplishing this for myself. I read your book and found it very helpful, but again I'm struggling with applying these things to my own life. I'm ashamed that my children aren't getting the proper nutrition and activity that they need to be getting. I just feel so tired after a long day at work, exhausted physically and mentally and (excuse after excuse). I keep waiting for something I read to sink in, to click, and then I will be successful, but what is really wrong with me that I'm having such a difficult time succeeding at what is probably the most important thing in my life- taking care of my one and only body? Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. You blog has become my new obsession!!!!

    I just flew to Orlando for the Disney Princess half marathon and I packed so much food!! I even wrote a blog in what is travel friendly http://thegetinshapegirl.wordpress.com/2011/03/04/travel-menu/

    I won't even touch airplane peanuts because I swell up so much from the flight as it is.

    then at disney i ordered an egg & veggie omelet WITHOUT CHEESE!! and they started piling on the homefries and I think I freaked out a little much when I said "no no no," because my friends started laughing at me and the cafeteria guy looked scared. oops!

    i hear ya sista!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a few tried and tested rules of thumb when travelling:

    1. no alcohol whatsoever. being stuck in an airplane is already dehydrating, why would you want to speed up the process?

    2. do not eat the airplane food. ive never ever felt good after plunging into those aluminum foiled meals. i always feel super bloated after :( not fun when you're stuck in tiny economy seats!

    3. water, water, water. besides, pee breaks are always fun. you get to stretch your legs and talk to the cute flight attendant at the back of the plane...

    4. moisturize and hydrate: lip balm, hand cream, and since i have super acne prone skin (which for some reason comes alive especially in flight) i opt for Avene thermal water spray. just a light mist over your face every hour or so will make you feel like a million bucks!

    5. socks: i always get cold feet when flying (not figuratively) so i bring warm fuzzy socks to slip into as soon as we hit cruising altitude.

    6. being vegan SUCKS in airports so i agree with Kim on this one - pack food. most security guards are understanding and will let you pass the gates with food on your person. i recently experimented with LUNA bars. Although i'm not a big protein bar girl, the LUNA bar kept my hunger at bay and was pretty tasty.

    ReplyDelete