OxygenD's Trainer Talk

Friday, February 4, 2011

Naps, bargains, and balance!

As most of you know, I'm a new mom and that means no more sleeping in! In fact I often get up crazy early just to get a bit of work done before little Jake wakes up. The funny thing is that this morning I laid in bed and bargained with myself for a good 15 mins. "If I get up now, I can take a nap later...I have a little break at 1 and at 4, so I can lay down then." Some how that little bargain makes it all OK to get up. I always feel great once I'm up, and let's get real, I never really get to take a nap as that time always gets filled up with one of the 5 thousand projects I'm working on, but somehow that little deal I make with myself seems to get my buns out from under the cosy covers!

Then I found myself doing the same little trick to get myself to the gym. "If I get there and I'm still not in the mood to workout, I'll just stretch and do some ab work, then I'll hit it hard tomorrow." But with out fail, once I'm in the gym and I get my blood flowing I feel so good and always get a great workout.

All and all, this is just my way of not letting my laziness or my excuses over power what I know is important. At the end of the day, nothing feels better then knowing I got my work done, took time to get my workout done, and I take some time to relax. It's a tough balance to find, much harder then it seems, but when you find the balance and learn to prioritize things it makes all the difference in the world. It's a life long process to perfect this balance, but it's worth it!!
Is it just me, or do you all have funny little bargains that you do with your daily routines?

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I also do the "nap bargain" when my alarm goes off at 5 a.m. It's the "getting started" part that is hard in most things - getting up early, getting to the gym, doing a tough set of reps, but once you're going you are motivated to see it through.

    It's nice to know you fitness pros experience the same challenges other women/moms do.

    www.modernmotherhoodandthequestforbalance.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete