OxygenD's Trainer Talk

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Happy New Year!

I really have a love/hate relationship with January! I'm so fired up for the New Year, yet I'm never quite sure where to begin. So many ideas, I want to conquer the world and need 10 lifetimes to do it all! And now on top of all my ideas and jobs, I'm a mommy!
So this morning I got up, strapped on my wonder women cape and made it as far as the upstairs couch where I fell back asleep for 2 hours. Wow, really, no kidding! What the heck was that!
Anyhow, on to todays topic, JANUARY!

For those of you that know me you know that I don't usually watch much TV. Frankly, I find it an utter waste of time and while I do love Criminal Minds and True Blood, I don't usually have the TV on. Last night my sister was over and she insisted on watching House, not bad either, but I couldn't get over the commercials. If I didn't know better here's what I'd have learned:

-High Fructose corn syrup isn't bad for you, it's just like sugar.
That's total crap and I don't know how they can put that on TV! High fructose corn syrup is a chemical and it's cheap so that's why food companies use it. It's so bad for your liver and if you are stressing out your liver you won't be losing weight or doing your body good. As for it being just like sugar, well, sugar is bad for you too!
-Cheerio lowers cholesterol. Really, again, processed crap! Soluble fiber is what helps lower cholesterol and there is only one gram per serving. Apples, veggies, and beans and give you 2-5 times that. Sorry Cheerios, you lose!
-Diets fail, lap band works. UGH, do I really need to dig into this! I nearly lost it with this one!
-Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers with their million dollar spokes people. Do you really think they are counting points and eating packet's of god knows what for snacks.
I could go on and on, but I think we all know that if you want to be healthy you need to exercise and eat NATURAL foods.
As much as I'd love to believe that there is a quick fix to get in shape and stay in shape I'm here to remind you that there isn't. Make changes in your routine that you can maintain for life. Now here's your homework for the day.
1. Go clean out your kitchen and get rid of all the things that have High Fructose Corn Syrup and other chemicals (That includes soda, people!)
2. Ditch the processed cereals and eat your oatmeal!
3. Don't go on a diet, just eat 5 small meals a day with natural foods.
Last get moving! Exercise! You'll feel great and have the best year of your life!

PS-I want to know one thing that you found in your kitchen that you were surprised to find high fructose corn syrup in.



5 comments:

  1. Great post!! Definitely gave me a boost to stay pumped up during the off-season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kim,
    I'm reading your book: Kim Lyon's Your Body Your Life. Thank you for such a wonderfully written book full of valuable information. I don't think that I've found such a book that breaks down information pertaining to habit breaking, creating new habits, setting goals and great examples, etc.

    I appreciate your posts and all the work you do with regards to fitness.

    Congrats on being a mommy! It's wonderful!

    Wow! I'm amazed at how you turned your body around from having your baby and now. Thanks for sharing the before and after picture.

    I'm not where I want to be yet with regards to fitness and nutrition. I'm in the process of creating the life that I want, the body that I want.

    Thanks for the homework assignement!

    I don't care for commercials either. So many commercials (it seems the majority) are related to food and quick fix diets, drugs, or surgeries to solve obesity. I like to fast forward through as many commercials as possible.

    Take care,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura, so glad you are reading my book! I am so proud of it! I'm loving this blog, it's really fun to reach out to everyone! I look forward to helping you reach your goal! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't believe there was high fructose corn syrup in my Raspberry Vinaigrette. It's time to find a new dressing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crazy, I know! It's in so many things that it just doesn't need to be! Yucko!

    ReplyDelete