OxygenD's Trainer Talk

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Motivationally Challenged?

When it comes to getting in shape, and staying in shape, one common question that always arises is "How the heck do we stay motivated?" I wish I had a one size fits all answer, but the truth is, everyone must find what motivates them. However, with that said, I will tell you one thing that I PROMISE will motivate you for life... RESULTS!

That's right, I can't say it loud enough! Results motivate more than anything in the world!

I have a reputation for being really hard on new clients. I don't except excuses, no, or I can't. I demand that you follow what I ask and there are few exceptions, period. I've been know to "fire" clients because they are not ready for change. I don't train people for the money (although it does come in handy when the bills roll in!), I train to to get results!

I've never had a client get hurt, fall off the back of the treadmill (as you've seen way to many times on The Biggest Loser), I don't take my clients to the point of puking (I need them to have those calories for the workout!), and I've never had a client that I can't whip into shape. Now I know that might sound a bit blunt, but it's so crucial to be a bit tough in the beginning. My theory is this: If I can get them to break the bad habits and really stick with the nutrition and tough exercise regime for a few weeks then they WILL get results. Then, my job becomes much easier because the results motivate them instead of me cracking the whip!! It took me many years to figure this simple concept out, but it truly works.

Now I know not everyone can have a trainer by their side. 99% of the time we are on our own to make it happen. I say "we" because believe it or not, I struggle with motivation from time to time too. I've never been one to jump out of bed and be excited to go kick my own butt! I think that most people think trainers are just born with the "love to workout" gene!

I really want you all to do some soul searching and let me know your top 3 motivational tips. You won't want to miss my Thurday Blog, I'm going to share a photo that will SHOCK you guys! Let's just say I haven't always been in "cover gal" shape and I too have to work at it just like you all!

Here's my top three motivational strategies!
  1. Commit with a friend or two. Literally get out the calenders and WRITE down what you are going to do. Make a cancel agreement like whoever cancels owes the other lunch, a facial, or something else fun!
  2. Make a vision board. Take an afternoon to cut out pictures that inspire you, write down your goals, and post them somewhere that you can see all the time.
  3. Set up a photo shoot. Now, I'm not necessarily talking about a strip down to your undies shoot (although I love that idea too!!), it can be as simple as asking a friend to take some good photos of you and your pup or signifiant other, or just some fun pics for facebook!
YOUR TURN....I can't wait to hear what motivates you!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kim,
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience with us. I was wondering- the picture shows you writing your goals. Can you share with us what your goals were and where you posted your goals? Can you also share how often you measured yourself against your goals and what you did if you reached a goal? Thanks, Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the goals are a great idea. Finding people to set a goal with is most difficult. Only thing sucks is being a military wife and not fitting in. Every girl on my street other than me is already extremely fit and for working out there is no way I can run 3miles every morning at 6am, right now....

    Any pointers how to keep yourself motivated solo?

    ReplyDelete