OxygenD's Trainer Talk

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Family hike

Hey peeps! I hope you are having an awesome week. I love this tip with little Jake, he wanted to look at his dad filming me and is so cute peeking around me.
I've been a busy little nut lately so many great projects in the works. I can't wait to share all my latest projects with you all. I am still managing to get in my workouts in (just barely) and eating as healthy as possible (let's just say shakes have been a big life saver).
Today I decided to take a break and go for a hike with Gunter and baby Jake. I wanted to take a few minutes to talk about how important it is to walk correctly. It sounds silly, but it can save you all kinds of ache, pains, and injuries down the road. Stick with me, I'm going to get a little a little technical on you!
Jump up and walk across the room. Do your toes turn outward? If they do your kinetic chain is off. But don't worry, a little practice walking with your toes forward and you'll be back on track. It's going to feel really odd at first, but trust me, it will be natural in only a few weeks. Walking with feet over pronated (outward) causes the outside of the heel to make contact with the ground first while walking or running. As weight is applied to your foot, it rolls in. This can cause your ankle to twist inward causing ankle sprains. It can also cause pain to the bottom of the foot (plantar fasciitis). This twist of your foot also causes problems to the knees by putting excess stress on the ligaments and cartilage of the knee. The inward twist continues up to the thigh and hip causing a forward tilt of the pelvis which strains the lower back.
I'm curious to hear how you all are walking and if this is something that helps! I promise if you spend some time focusing on this it will make a huge difference for you.

1 comment:

  1. Great tip! Never thought of that before, but now I will!

    Lovely place, lovely backpack;)

    ReplyDelete