OxygenD's Trainer Talk

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The best $500 I ever spent

All it took to change my life was writing a check. When I was 23, I worked at the front desk of a gym. I was quite chunky because I was fully depressed and I had no clue what to do with my life. I had just left flight school and was looking for my purpose.

I’ll never forget how awful I felt about myself. I wanted to crawl under a rock—one without any mirrors!

A trainer in the gym, Bill, offered to train me. I have always been athletic but had no idea how to navigate through the gym! But I went with my gut and wrote a check for $500. That was my rent and actually more money than I made in a month. Needless to say, this investment in myself still pays off today.

I discovered the power of proper nutrition and exercise along with the pride and confidence that comes along with it. So I decided to go to the National Academy of Sports Medicine and become a trainer. I loved training my clients and changing their lives like my Bill did for me.

Wondering if a personal trainer is right for you? A trainer can:
1. Assess your goals and help you form a “plan”
2. Keep you accountable and motivated
3. Ensure that you are using proper form and intensity to safely reach your goals

What was the moment you decided to commit to fitness? Please share it with me. I’ll be reading all your comments! Welcome to my blog…this is going to be great!

1 comment:

  1. As an unfit high school student I saved money and hired a personal trainer. I had recently reduced my slow mile time by 3.5 minutes, thanks to exercise tapes, and I wanted to improve further. My trainer taught me proper lifting techniques and forced me out of my comfort zone (aka cardio). The experience was so inspiring that I went on to study exercise science in college and have been a certified personal trainer since 2006! I’m looking forward to your future blog posts.

    ReplyDelete